Mt. Vernon, IL

L&N Railroad

Estimated GPS Coordinates: 38.312627,-88.902243

Click For Map

History

The L&N purchased the St. Louis and Southeastern Railway in 1880 and planned to move the repair shops at Howell, IN.

David Settlemeir from Litchfield, IL bought the L&N roundhouse and repair shops enabling the L&N to move to Howell Yards. He established the Mt. Vernon (Railroad) Car Manufacturing Company on the former L&N railroad yard. The Car Shops opened around August 1890 and operated in Mt. Vernon for 64 years.

Part of the former site is occupied by National Railway Equipment and an abandoned strip mall.

1931 Chicago and Eastern Railway Official Directory of Industries

Mt. Vernon Pictorial History by Thomas Puckett

Mt. Vernon Louisville and Nashville Roundhouse Map 1881

Mt. Vernon Louisville and Nashville Roundhouse 1938 (no longer visible)

Illinois Historical Aerial Photographs