Estimated GPS Coordinates: 38.632467,-90.154945
In 1856, the O&M Railroad built engine and service shops and a turntable in the area where Cone Yard would be built in 1909. Around 1875, the shops were phased out. A new roundhouse was built during the 1880s. The tornado of 1896 hit the facility. A photo of the remains is on this page.
Expansion and Modernization of Cone Yard at East. St. Louis, IL, began in August, 1945 and was completed December, 1946. The rail facilities include 24 classification tracks, a ten-stall engine house, a 115-foot turntable, and a new modern coaling station.
B&Os Washington, Indiana, Shops by Edward Young in The Sentinel from Baltimore and Ohio RR Society, First Quarter 2012
B and O Magazine, April, 1948, Mike Lusher
East St. Louis Baltimore and Ohio Roundhouse After 1896 Tornado Pre-Cone Yard
1896 photo by William Schiller, Library of Congress
East St. Louis Louisville and Nashville Roundhouse (left) Baltimore and Ohio Former Roundhouse Imprint (right) 1938
Illinois Historical Aerial Photographs