Bluford, IL

Illinois Central Railroad

Estimated GPS Coordinates: 38.32009,-88.7283

Click For Map

History

The Courier (Waterloo, Iowa) May 5, 1928 reported that the Edgewood cut-off between Fulton, KY and Edgewood, IL will open on May 7, 1928. The Bluford railroad yard includes a new roundhouse with 12 stalls, ten miles of tracks, a machine shop, a blacksmith shop, car repair facilities, and a 500-ton coal chute.

Mt. Vernon Register-News announced on June 28, 1967, that Illinois Central had notified Bluford employees that the railroad yard would be closed by September 11th. Automation of operations allowed consolidated with the Paducah, KY facility.