McLeansboro Junction, IL

L&N Railroad

Milepost: 383.45

L&N McLeansboro Junction Depot

Depot #3 - McLeansboro Junction

Hamilton County Historical Society

McLeansboro Township

Hamilton County

One mile northwest of town at the intersection with the east - west main line

Estimated GPS Coordinates: 38.10685,-88.55253

Click For Map

History

McLeansboro Junction, also known as Shawnee Junction, was where the L & N branched from the main line that extended from East St. Louis to the Wabash River. According to Ralph Harrelson's article, the town was surveyed on November 17, 1871, in section 9 of what is now known as McLeansboro Township. A Y-track went to McLeansboro's first depot then on to Shawneetown. Trains that were not destined for Shawneetown had to back down into McLeansboro to pickup freight and passengers at the Market and Marshall Street facility.

The McLeansboro Times-Leader, Mcleansboro, Illinois, reported on Oct 20, 1955 that construction of the new depot one mile north of town on the main line started on 6/25/1885.

March 28, 1890, the L & N request for right of way was granted for a new route that would shave 30 minutes from the transit time and remove the requirement for trains to back down into the city to reach the old depot. The approval was contingent on abandonment of the northern route and the construction of a new passenger and freight depot.

December 3, 1891, the first train to travel the rails without having to back into town arrived at the third McLeansboro depot.

A New Geography of Hamilton County, Ralph S. Harrelson, Hamilton County File, Norris City Library
McLeansboro Times-Leader (Mcleansboro, Illinois) · Thu, Oct 20, 1955 · Page 34-36

1876 Map with McLeansboro Junction

Atlas of the State of Illinois by Warner & Beers, Allen County Public Library Genealogy Center

McLeansboro Junction Aerial, 3/31/1938
Former L&N Right of Way is visible

National Archives

2018 McLeansboro Aerial View

DOT Railroad GIS

1938 Aerial Photo of McLeansboro Junction

Illinois Historical Aerial Photographs 1938

Sugar Camp Junction Aerial 2018

Google Maps

L & N 824
McLeansboro Junction 1890
Erebus - St.L&SE Railroad No. 24
Later named L & N 1196

Courtesy of Hamilton County Historical Society

EVWR Sugar Camp Junction
North of McLeansboro Junction

David Cantrell

EVWR Empty Coal Train
North of McLeansboro Junction

David Cantrell

EVWR Coal Train
Miss the Caboose

David Cantrell

US---SVTX-1986_2---McLeansboro_IL---10-22-2012