1909 Carmi Union Depot
Found via Internet Search
Southeast corner of intersection of 3rd Street and the railroad track
Estimated GPS Coordinates: 38.092304,-88.164383
Carmi had Union Depot at 3rd street, then 1st Street. There was a Freight Depot for the L & N at 3rd Street. A Big Four Freight Depot was located at 5th Street.
On the November 6, 1893, citizens of Carmi petitioned the Board of Railroad and Warehouse Commissioners for assistance in improving the depot facilities in the town. At that time, the L & N depot at 3rd street was used as a passenger terminal for both this railroad and the Big Four. Freight facilities for the Big Four were housed at 5th street.
W. S. Cantrell, Chairman of the Railroad and Warehouse Commission, achieved agreement from the L & N on December 1, 1893 for renovation and enlargement of the Carmi Depot.
Annual Report of the Railroad and Warehouse Commission of the State of Illinois, Volume 23, 1894
The plans for the upgraded Carmi Depot are located in the Filson Historical Society L & N Architectural Archive.
1893 Carmi L & N Freight and Passenger Depots
on opposite sides of 3rd Street
1899 Carmi L & N Passenger Depot at 3rd Street
Steam Locomotive at Carmi L&N Depot