Fairfield, IL

B&O Railroad

Milepost: 52.9

B&O Fairfield Depot

Fairfield B & O Railroad Depot

Duane Carrell, B & O Historical Society

Grover Township

Wayne County

Northwest corner of Main and the railroad

Estimated GPS Coordinates: 38.37992803,-88.36963903

Click For Map

History

The first depot at Fairfield owned by the Ohio & Mississippi Railroad burnt and was replaced with a brick structure.

Eventually a second railroad crossed the B & O south of the town. The rail started as an idea in 1837 between New Albany, IN and Alton, IL. In 1869, Indiana charted the New Albany & St. Louis Railroad Company. Illinois then charted the St. Louis, Mt. Carmel & New Albany Railroad Company. In July, 1870, these were joined under the name: New Albany & St. Louis Railroad Company. The project faltered until February, 1879, when a reorganization spurred the completion of the railway system. Partered with the Louisville & Nashville railroad at Mt. Vernon, IL. This combination transitioned to the Southern Railroad and trains still run through Fairfield under the Norfolk Southern flag.

American Railroad Journal, Volume 45, 1872

History of Wayne and Clay Counties Illinois, Globe Publishing Co, 183 Lake Street, Chicago, IL, 1884, p 185.

Biographical and Historical Souvenir for the Counties of Clark, Crawford, Harrison, Floyd, Jefferson, Jennings, Scott, and Washington, Indiana, Chicago Printing Company, 1889, p. 140.

1938 Aerial View of Fairfield

Illinois Historical Aerial Photographs

Fairfield Map

Fairfield Depot and Locomotive

Courtesy of Wayne County Historical Society

Fairfield Depot and Locomotive

Courtesy of Wayne County Historical Society

Fairfield Depot

Courtesy of the B&O Railroad Museum Archives

Fairfield Depot

Courtesy of the B&O Railroad Museum Archives

B&O 6038 Fairfield Depot

Fans of Ohio & Mississippi Railroad

B&O 6038 Crosses Southern Railroad at Fairfield

Fans of Ohio & Mississippi Railroad

Southern Railway Fairfield Depot